Northwestern University Maintenance Engineer A (HVAC) in Chicago, Illinois
This role operates, maintains, repairs, and replaces building infrastructure related equipment including, but not limited to, air conditioning, refrigeration, heating, plumbing, temperature controls and instrumentation. Is substantially proficient and knowledgeable in one or more of the skills listed below and partially proficient in others. Has knowledge of most of the tools, instruments, materials and their applications in field of primary expertise
- Steam heating and process equipment, refrigeration and air conditioning equipment, ventilation systems with associated components and hardware. Working knowledge of steam and refrigeration cycles and how it applies to building environmental systems which includes vibration analysis, balancing, and alignment of air handling units and pumps.
- Plumbing, including water and sewage lines, pneumatic piping systems, all plumbing equipment and fixtures, pumps and valves.
- Electrical distribution, electric motors, relays, controls, transformers, electrical and electronic components of all kinds.
- Must be available and capable of responding to irregularities during evenings and weekends ensuring 24 hour, 7 day per week coverage;
Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent combination of educational training and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired. Ability to perform calculations applicable to field of experience.
- Training and /or developmental experience equivalent to full apprenticeship in plumbing and/or HVAC along with substantial work experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of the tools, methods and standard trade/safety practices.
- Ability to communicate with fellow workers, university community and others on job sites.
- Ability to exercise professional independent judgment in work and problem solving situations with minimal direct supervision
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Physical ability to lift and maneuver heavy weights, climb and descend ladders, work in cramped quarters. Dexterity necessary for the use of tools and manipulation of materials.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
Job ID: 33466
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Job Title: Maintenance Engineer A (HVAC)